The CESTAT, Chennai in M/s. T.A.F.E Access Ltd. v. Commissioner of GST & Central Excise [Service Tax Appeal No. 526 of 2012 dated May 26, 2023] set aside the order demanding Service Tax on cost of the spares/materials used for providing the free services provided during the warranty period. Held that, assessee is not liable to pay Service Tax on the cost of spares and accessories reimbursed by the manufacturer.
M/s. T.A.F.E Access Ltd (“the Appellant”) an authorized dealers of M/s. Tata Motors (“the Manufacturer”) is engaged in selling of cars and providing free service during the warranty period for the cars sold by them. The expenses for providing free service were reimbursed by manufacturer.
The Appellant was paying service tax on the labour charges but was not discharging service tax on cost of spares which was reimbursed by Manufacturer.
The Assessing Authority vide a Show Cause Notice (“the SCN”) raised the demand to pay service tax on the reimbursement received from the manufacturer towards the supply of parts and accessories during the free warranty and services.
The Appellant filed the reply to the SCN and after considering the reply the Adjudicating Authority confirmed the demand.
Aggrieved by the demand, the Appellant filed an appeal before the Commissioner (Appeal)
who vide Order-in-Appeal No. CMB-CEX APP 101/12 dated May 21, 2012 (“the Impugned Order”) upheld the order passed by the adjudicating authority.
Being aggrieved, this appeal has been filed.
Whether the cost of spares and accessories reimbursed by the manufacturer on account of free services provided during the warranty period is leviable to service tax?
The CESTAT Chennai Service Tax Appeal No. 526 of 2012 held as under:
- Relied upon the judgment of the Hon’ble Supreme Court in Union of India v. Intercontinental Consultants and Technocrats Pvt Ltd [2018(10) GSTL 401(SC)] wherein, the court had held that reimbursable expenses cannot be included in the taxable value.
- Observed that, in the Appellant’s own case the very same issue was decided for the subsequent periods in M/S. TAFE Access Ltd. v. Commissioner of GST & Central Excise, Coimbatore [Final Order No.40394-40397/2019 dated February 28, 2019].
- Noted that, same issue as to whether the cost of spares and material used for free services during warranty period has to be included in the taxable value or not, was considered by the CESTAT, Chennai in M/s. ABT Ltd. And others v. Commissioner of Central Excise, Coimbatore [Final Order No. 40618-40628/2018] wherein, it was held that cost of spares and accessories used in replacement during warranty period were sold on payment of VAT thus, the cost of spare parts cannot be included for purposes of levy of service tax.
- Held that, the Appellant is not liable to pay service tax on the cost of spares reimbursed by the manufacturer.
- Set aside the Impugned Order.
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed are strictly of the author and A2Z Taxcorp LLP. The contents of this article are solely for informational purpose and for the reader’s personal non-commercial use. It does not constitute professional advice or recommendation of firm. Neither the author nor firm and its affiliates accepts any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of any information in this article nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. Further, no portion of our article or newsletter should be used for any purpose(s) unless authorized in writing and we reserve a legal right for any infringement on usage of our article or newsletter without prior permission.
|📍 Only Few day’s LEFT for Special Discount !! Register Now !!
Live GST Course on:
GST Input Tax Credit (ITC) by CA (Adv) Bimal Jain
3 Day | 3 Session | 9 Hours
June 16 | 3:00 – 6:00 PM, June 17 | 3:00 – 6:00 PM and June 18 | 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM (IST)
Rs. 2,999/- 2,499/- (Inclusive of GST)
Special Discount valid till 10 June 2023
Register Now !!
CA (Adv) Bimal Jain
Coverage of the Course :
Key features of the course:
Terms and Conditions:
For details, or any queries,
DDA Flat No. 650, Pocket 5, Mayur Vihar, Phase 1
New Delhi – 110091
E-mail: [email protected]